Eagle Radio {%endif%}

Eagle Radio


Visit the website to find out more
Visit the website to find out more

Flames survive late scare to secure 6-5 win

4 minute read
Flames survive late scare to secure 6-5 win

Published at 10:49am 7th October 2018. (Updated at 10:51am 7th October 2018)

A couple of Stars goals early in the 3rd period had them nearly out of a 4 goal hole, but the Flames powerplay late in the game re-stored a multi goal spread, and Spectrum’s men held on for a 6-5 win over the visitors from Dundee. 

A powerplay just into the back half of the opening period got the home team going when a Calle Ackered one timer rebounded mid air to Ian Watters who played a bit of tennis to force it over the line for a 1-0 lead they maintained into the 2nd. 

Less than 5 minutes after re-start, Evan Ritt kicked off 3 straight before a Dundee reply.  Jordan Abt wired a high wrister in the 33rd minute to make it 3-0, and at 37:28 Watters tucked one under the bar to open a 4-0 gap. The visitors got that one back 39 seconds later through Mike Sullivan, but Spectrum’s men went to the final 20 minutes 3 goals to the good.  

Evan Ritt scores Flames 2nd of the night

Another Stars goal just 42 seconds into the 3rd by Fabrizio Ricci had them just a couple goals off the pace then they quickly added another through Shawn Boutin.  They didn’t miss by much for the equaliser but a Flames man advantage with about 9 minutes remaining was just the tonic when Watters found John Dunbar at the side of the goal, and he let the team breathe by re-storing a 2 goal difference.  Not long after that, now on a 2 man differential, the lead nudged back to 3 when Kruise Reddick’s shot was inadvertently tapped in by a Stars defender.  The Stars did answer back with a late Ricci strike, and a Boutin deflection 62 seconds from close but despite an empty net, an extra attacker and about as much pressure as one team could muster time ticked away to retain a Flames result.   

“If someone had asked me about the game in the 1st and 2nd period, I would have given quite a different answer than had the same question been asked in the 3rd,” admitted Head Coach Paul Dixon.

“In the first 2 periods we had a massive amount of possession and created opportunities to be good value for the lead we had by the time 40 minutes had gone by.”

“We should have been extra confident heading to the 3rd, but we didn’t start the period playing like that, and Dundee jumped all over it.”

“Even after we then sort of put ourselves back in a really good spot with some powerplay success, they had no intention of giving up, which we know is easy to do sometimes when you are on a long road trip, and things are looking bleak.”

“Overall, I think we were deserving winners, but they gave us everything we could handle in those last few minutes, and we are sure glad to have come out of there still on the right side of the score.”

“We will try to be a bit more consistent tomorrow night in their building and hopefully come back home with more points.”  

Find out more