Eagle Radio

www.eagleradio.co.uk

{%endif%}

Breaking News

Theresa May announces resignation
Find out more about the BMW 3 Series Saloon here
Find out more about the BMW 3 Series Saloon here
Step One Finance - Local News Sponsorship

The warning to dog-owners in Surrey & Hampshire this Easter

Dog

Published by Lucinda Horsley at 7:01am 21st April 2019.

Vets are warning pet-owners to keep all chocolate away from their pets this Easter. 

Chocolate is particularly toxic to dogs, as it contains caffeine and theobromine, two substances that dogs are incredibly sensitive to.

Theobromine and caffeine are present in roasted cocoa beans which chocolate is derived from.

If ingested by dogs, it affects the heart, central nervous system and kidneys.

Dr Huw Stacey, director of clinical services at Vets4Pets, said:

“Unlike humans, dogs find it difficult to break down and excrete these substances. This means they can easily build-up in the dog’s system and lead to poisoning”

“The higher the level of cocoa in the chocolate, the more theobromine it contains and the more hazardous the chocolate becomes to pets.

“Therefore, dark chocolate is the biggest danger to dogs, and is more likely to cause medical complications than white or regular milk chocolate.

“The level of toxicity also depends on the size of the dog, but for most dogs even small amounts of chocolate can trigger unpleasant reactions.”

The usual signs of chocolate poisoning include vomiting, diarrhoea, increased body temperature and heart rate, rapid breathing and can even lead to seizures and cardiac failure.

Dr Stacey added:

“In order for owners and their pets to enjoy a happy Easter together, the best option is to keep all chocolate out of their reach and give them an animal-friendly treat instead, like a dental chew or even special dog friendly ‘chocolate’ treats.

“Although there aren’t as many cases of chocolate poisoning for cats, rabbits and rodents, they can all still suffer from health issues after digesting chocolate.

“If you suspect your pet has eaten chocolate, then it is always safest to take them straight to the nearest veterinary practice for a check over.”

Contact Us

If you would like to submit a query or provide more information on this story please get in touch below.

Please wait...
  • Up to 3 JPG or PNG images, 2MB max size
  • We will always endeavour to credit you when we publish your pictures.
  • By uploading you are agreeing to this non-exclusive reuse, royalty-free, across all Eagle Radio platforms, which extends to our partner broadcasters.
  • You retain copyright to all images.
  • If you would like to send us a video, please upload to YouTube or similar and paste the video URL into the message above.
Find out more about the Women in Business Expo