Eagle Radio {%endif%}

Eagle Radio


Visit Absolute Aesthetics website to find out more
Visit Absolute Aesthetics website to find out more

Couple's business "totally destroyed" in Ockham blaze

3 minute read
Couple's business "totally destroyed" in Ockham blaze

Published at 5:53pm 14th July 2017.

The daughter of a couple whose workshop has been burnt down in Ockham are trying to raise £10,000 to help them rebuild their lives.

A barn in Long Reach was completely destroyed after a fire broke out on Wednesday (July 12) morning.

10 pumps from Surrey Fire and Rescue attended the blaze in Long Reach.

Annabel and Laura Hutchings's parents started collecting antiques in their early 20s.

By buying, inheriting and making objects over 50 years, he built up a huge number of items including grandfather clocks, Bakelite phones, pocket watches and war memorabilia.

"Absolutely everything they've worked for, all their lives, has gone. Everything they had has gone", Annabel said. 


"They're very much at a loose end, I don't think they know what's going to happen next to be honest.

"Mine and Laura's aim is just to do the very best we can, to at least try and kit them out with some tools, or something to keep their spirits going and hopefully encourage them to not stop, because they're such skilled people." 

"This is where they made everything and stored everything. There would be anything from phones to jewellery, pocket watches to old chairs, absolutely anything you could imagine you'd find here. 

"And everyone who knows us has seen, there is absolutely everything here." 

Just Giving Page set up by the pair is aiming to raise over £10,000. 


It reads: "On Wednesday morning (12th July 2017) my parents received a call explaining the workshop and warehouse where they've based their small theatrical supplies business, was in flames. 

"By the time the fire had been put out, it was apparent that everything had been lost - the vast collection of antiques, historic collectibles and valuable tools our dad has bought, inherited and made over the last 50 years were all burned and destroyed.

"This devastating fire has wiped out over 5 decades of collecting and proudly owning some unique and spectacular items from Grandfather Clocks to Bakelite Phones to War memorabilia - everything has been lost. 

"This is a small, family business that has supplied items to schools and amateur theatre groups in Surrey and across the UK.

"My sister and I will do whatever it takes to try and make this awful situation better, and would be so grateful for any help in doing so, any donation would be so gratefully received so I can help my parents start to rebuild the business they have so tragically lost."


Contact Us

If you would like to submit a query or provide more information on this story please get in touch below.

Please wait...
  • Up to 3 JPG or PNG images, 2MB max size
  • We will always endeavour to credit you when we publish your pictures.
  • By uploading you are agreeing to this non-exclusive reuse, royalty-free, across all Eagle Radio platforms, which extends to our partner broadcasters.
  • You retain copyright to all images.
  • If you would like to send us a video, please upload to YouTube or similar and paste the video URL into the message above.