Eagle Radio {%endif%}

Eagle Radio


Visit the website to find out more
Visit the website to find out more

Guildford freerunner died from 'catastrophic injuries' on Paris Metro

4 minute read
Guildford freerunner died from 'catastrophic injuries' on Paris Metro

Published at 3:46pm 20th June 2017. (Updated at 4:11pm 20th June 2017)

A teenage freerunner from Guildford died from 'catastrophic injuries' after an incident on the Metro in Paris, an inquest has found.

Nye Newman was just 17 years old when he was killed in the French capital on New Year's Day in 2017.

He was there with his girlfriend and friends to freerun and also enjoy New Year's Eve.

His love of freerunning was not only his hobby but also his job, according to his mother, Debs.

"It involves running freely through an urban environment and not being contained" she told the inquest's coroner, Andrew Bradley.

"Nye was fit and healthy, he travelled to a different location every weekend" she said.

Nye's parents

Nye's mum and dad at his remembrance 'memorial jam' in Guildford in March

The last time Debs saw her son before the incident leading to his death was during the evening on Boxing Day 2016.

On New Year's Eve, Debs sent him a message on Facebook telling him that she loved him and to stay safe.

Joe Alvey-Taylor was with Nye in Paris and gave written evidence to today's inquest.

Read out by coroner Andrew Bradley, he explained how the group had trained during the day of the 31st before getting the Metro train towards the Eiffel Tower at around 11pm.

He said one member of the group, a French boy called Nino, had a special skeleton key which could open the doors between the seperate train carriages.

Unlike some trains in the UK, you cannot walk between carriages on the Paris Metro.

"Nino opened the door but we didn't expect anyone to do anything" Joe's statement read.

"Nye poked his head out of the gap in the carriage to get a picture or a video, we told him to get back.

"He only had his head out for a second but something must have hit him as he fell onto the train wires.

"We then dragged him back into the carriage, then onto the platform once the train had stopped at the next station.

"Someone on the train called an ambulance, there was a lot of blood coming from his head. He looked dead."

Nye's mother, Debs received a call from his girlfriend that night while she was with friends in Farnham.

She and her ex-husband travelled to the Beaujon Hospital in Paris and were at Nye's bedside by 9am on New Year's Day.

Doctors told Debs that her son had severe head trauma and a haemorrhage, meaning he would die that day.

The 17 year-old suffered a fractured skull, bruising on his thigh and forearm, bleeding from the brain and bruising of brain cells.

She stayed with her son alongside his friends for three hours, before the life machine was turned off. Nye was pronounced dead at 12:20pm on New Year's Day.

Just over two month's after his death, a special 'memorial jam' was held in his memory in Guildford's Portsmouth Road car park.

Hundreds turned out to attend to remember and celebrate his life.

T-shirts were sold with proceeds going to his family, before a minutes silence was held at 1 o'clock.

Nye's mother, Debs was at the event and gave this heartwarming speech:


The event came a day after Nye's official funeral on Friday March 3.


Contact Us

If you would like to submit a query or provide more information on this story please get in touch below.

Please wait...
  • Up to 3 JPG or PNG images, 2MB max size
  • We will always endeavour to credit you when we publish your pictures.
  • By uploading you are agreeing to this non-exclusive reuse, royalty-free, across all Eagle Radio platforms, which extends to our partner broadcasters.
  • You retain copyright to all images.
  • If you would like to send us a video, please upload to YouTube or similar and paste the video URL into the message above.