Eagle Radio {%endif%}

Eagle Radio


Visit the Pulsa Gas website to find out more
Visit the Pulsa Gas website to find out more

Flames collect 2 points from the weekend

4 minute read
Flames collect 2 points from the weekend

Published at 11:12pm 25th November 2018. (Updated at 11:31pm 25th November 2018)

The Flames scored 2 in the 2nd period and added another in the last, and Travis Fullerton turned aside all 29 shots to help shutout the Glasgow Clan 3-0.

After a scoreless opening frame, Evan Ritt got things started, with what turned out to be the winner, in the 23rd minute.  Calle Ackered added another near the midway mark and the visitors skated through 40 minutes holding the 2 goal edge.

In the 3rd, Spectrum’s men held a 12-9 shot advantage, but couldn’t extend the difference further until Clan removed their netminder in favour of an extra attacker.  Ian Watters foiled the plan just inside the last 2 minutes when he scored into the empty cage to complete the result.

“One good thing from this game was that there was only one penalty, and it was on us, so we were able to win the night without anything from our powerplay,” observed Head Coach Paul Dixon.

“We have been working to try and get more scoring 5 on 5 and tonight we needed it to get a win and we got just enough to make that happen.”

“Travis played very well the other night, and he did again tonight; fully deserving of the shutout.”

“It’s a long ride home, but winning makes it feel just a bit shorter.  We will try to get back to the rink Sunday night with enough gas to put up some resistance against the league leading Belfast Giants.”


The visiting Belfast Giants scored a last minute pair of empty net goals to put a bit of distance in the scoring of a closely contested evening and they ultimately left Spectrum with a 4-1 win. 

Giants opened the scoring just over 6 minutes in when the puck reversed direction behind the net and Darcy Murphy jammed it in at the side of the goal.  At 11:52, the home team pulled level when Brett Ferguson buried a short rebound, and the even split of the 2 goal share carried over into the middle stanza. 

It looked like the 2nd might wind down with no change to the scoring but a late period Paul Swindlehurst strike had the Northern Irish club holding a 2-1 lead to start the 3rd. 

A back and forth 3rd period didn’t lose any pace and both teams continued to take chances, but the Flames were unable to draw even before removing Travis Fullerton to add an extra skater. Shortly into the effort to bring it level, and less than 60 seconds from the close of regulation, Blair Riley dumped the puck into the vacated net to guarantee the Giants win and David Rutherford rubbed salt in the wound when he added another into the unguarded cage. 

“If we can put the result aside, it was a good game of hockey by two fast sides,” said Paul Dixon.

“It was one of those nights where scoring was really looking difficult, and we came close a few times to tying it, but just couldn’t get one to take.”

“We gave everything we could tonight against the league’s top team, and sometimes you just have to live with coming up a bit short.”

“We will re-group this week at training, look at a lot of good things we did this weekend, and try to make some adjustments where we can to see if we can get a result on Saturday when Nottingham Panthers drop in at Spectrum.”