Eagle Radio {%endif%}

Eagle Radio


Visit Absolute Aesthetics website to find out more
Visit Absolute Aesthetics website to find out more

Another double weekend for the Flames vs Fife Flyers

4 minute read
Another double weekend for the Flames vs Fife Flyers

Published at 10:59pm 14th October 2018.

Saturday night, the Flames got off to a quick start, but that turned out to be the high point of their evening as the Fife Flyers had a couple of goals in each period to collect a 6-3 win over the visitors from Spectrum. 

The long journey didn’t affect the Flames start with Kruise Reddick staking the visitors to a lead just 23 seconds after opening faceoff.  A pair of replies by Carlo Finucci, however, one at 3:29 and another in the 14th minute on the powerplay, had the Flyers in a lead they would not give up the rest of the way. 

Just 68 seconds into the 2nd period, Paul Crowder extended the host’s advantage to 3-1 and a few minutes later they had their 4th through Evan Bloodoff.  The Flames did reply late when Ben Davies pulled his club back within a pair.  

Any thoughts of a Flames comeback were erased early in the 3rd when Crowder added his 2nd a few minutes in and then Evan Stoflet’s immediate follow up had the Kirkcaldy side enjoying a 4 goal gap the Flames would only cut into seconds from time when Joshua Waller changed the final tally. 

“I say it just about every game, but these guys do play for 60 minutes regardless of the score,” explained Head Coach Paul Dixon.

“We didn’t get what we came for tonight, but it certainly was not through lack of effort.”

“Timely scoring is proving a bit difficult at the moment, but our experience is that it will change if guys just keep working hard and we certainly don’t have any worries in that department.”

Jesse Craige scores for the Flames against Fife


On Sunday night a 52-32 shot advantage didn’t convert to a win as the Fife Flyers recovered from a 1 goal deficit early in the 3rd period while handing the Flames a 6-5 defeat under Spectrum’s lights. 

The Scottish club got the jump on the evening’s scoring during a stretch of 4 on 4 when Danick Gauthier tipped home a clever 2 on 1 pass to give them the lead.  Just seconds later, however, Spectrum’s men answered when a nice outside drive by Ben Davies preceded his perfect set up to Jesse Craige who banged home the equaliser.  Carlo Finucci put Flyers in front again on a 4th minute powerplay.  Evan Janssen levelled at 11:03 for Surrey’s team but a Brett Bulmer strike, this one just 17 seconds from period close, had Flyers in front to start the 2nd.

Jamie Crooks scored shorthanded at 25:14 and it was knotted again at 4 each but the exchange continued when Paul Crowder and Ben Davies traded goals for a 4-4 deadlock through 40 minutes.

Kruise Reddick established the first Flames lead of the contest less than 3 minutes into the final stanza, but a Rick Pinkston reply seconds later and the winner by Crowder inside the final 10 minutes secured the visitor’s result.

“It’s unfortunate, and frustrating, that with the amount of offensive zone time we had in the 2nd period, including 25 shots, that we went to break tied,” admitted Head Coach Paul Dixon.

“We did get a lead straight away in the 3rd, but then they came right back and got another.”

“There is no question in my mind that we deserved far more from this game, but at the moment we can’t seem to catch a break for things to go our way.”

“When you are in the middle of this it feels like it has been going on forever but we have to remember that just a week ago we were coming off back to back wins so we have to head into training this week with some perspective.”

“Tonight is a tough outcome to sleep on for sure, but we can’t do anything about it now, and we have to find a way to start looking ahead to Belfast on Sunday.”