Eagle Radio

Eagle Radio


Visit the website
Visit the website

Guildford Flames bag a 4 point weekend

4 minute read
Guildford Flames bag a 4 point weekend

Published at 10:30pm 23rd September 2018. (Updated at 10:43pm 23rd September 2018)

On Saturday night Ian Watters had a 4 goal night and the Flames scored 6 unanswered in the final 2 periods on the way to an 8-2 Cup win at Milton Keynes Lightning.

The Canadian forward opened the Flames account 77 seconds after faceoff, but Tim Wallace replied for Milton Keynes before the frame hit the halfway mark.  Kruise Reddick had the visitors back in front with a 14th minute goal, but a Lightning answer on the powerplay through Clay Anderson just 12 seconds from period time took the teams to break level at 2 apiece. 

Watters’ 2nd of the contest less than 5 minutes into the middle set put the Flames in front for good.  3 goals in less than 3 minutes had Surrey’s men in command from just beyond the game’s midway mark. Evan Ritt made it a 2 goal difference at 30:23.  Reddick’s 2nd on a powerplay at 12:35 and a follow up by Evan Janssen at 13:03 had the Flames holding a 6-2 margin through 40 minutes. 

Watters completed his hat trick a little over 5 minutes into the 3rd then added the 4th a couple of minutes later to complete the result. 

“We played a very, very solid 60 minutes tonight,” said Head Coach Paul Dixon.

“We had good control of the game and, with MK working with a short bench because of injuries, we were able to use our speed and wear them down more than might normally be possible.”

“We are very happy to have secured a couple of Cup points away from home, particularly in light of the style of game we played and the effort we got from the entire group.”


Calle Ackered scores the 1st on Sunday with a 2-0 win over Glasgow


Sunday night it was back to League action, 

A powerplay goal in the 1st and 2nd periods helped the Flames establish a 2-0 lead that was a little more than enough thanks to a Travis Fullerton home debut 43 save shutout, including 22 in the final stanza, to close the evening on the same tally. 

What looked like an early period powerplay goal for Spectrum’s men was rescinded after video review but they made up for it seconds into their next man advantage.  Jesse Craige and Calle Ackered played catch near the blueline before the latter one time blasted the return feed for a 1-0 edge less than 5 minutes from period time. 

Like the opening frame, there was only a single goal in the 2nd, and the Flames used it to double their lead when Craige, on another powerplay in the 27th minute, dragged the puck to the middle before wiring it home for a difference that was on the clock to start the 3rd. 

Early in the final session, back to back minor penalties to Kevin King and Ian Watters, had the Flames defending with 2 men down for well over a minute, but they were able to keep Clan at Bay and hold the 2 goal lead into the back half of the frame.  Another Flames penalty kill went the way of the ‘bend but don’t break’ route when Clan had several good opportunities to cut the deficit but Fullerton was there for it all to help his side nail down the win.  

“We had yet to close a weekend on all 4 points this season, so it is great for us to come out of this with a pair of wins,” explained Paul Dixon. 

“I thought we were definitely value for the lead in the first period, but Clan definitely picked up their pace in the 2nd. We got an important goal but that period could have gone either way.”

“In the 3rd, penalties put us on the back foot and there is no question Clan really threw everything at us, but Travis was there to make sure we still got out with the points.”

“We are feeling pretty good right now, and there is a possibility Brett Ferguson will be joining us this week so hopefully we can have a good week of training and make the most of a couple of home games next weekend against Cardiff and Nottingham.”