Eagle Radio {%endif%}

Eagle Radio


Find Out More
Find Out More

Weekend win pulls Flames closer in conference battle

3 minute read
Weekend win pulls Flames closer in conference battle

Published at 10:25am 19th March 2018. (Updated at 10:26am 19th March 2018)

The home team won 5-2 against current conference leaders Manchester Storm on Saturday (17th March). 

Flames got on the scoreboard with an opening goal from Watters, coming off a rebound from a Kruise Reddick shot. 

Manchester Storm tied it at 16:18 and just under a minute later Luke Moffatt added their second, giving them the lead as they head into the break. 

Flames' Mikeal Lidhammer brought the game back to even late in the middle frame with a clean shot past Mike Clemente. 

The third period remained scoreless until the last 5 minutes when Jesse Craige, on a powerplay, retrieved his own puck on a blocked shot.

At 18:23 Rhett Rachinski secured the win when he scored into the empty cage. 

With nothing further from Storm, Ben Davies added the 5th goal for Flames - reducing the gap between them and Manchester on the Patton Conference. 

“With the conference still out there for us, that was a pretty intense game, playing head to head with the team in the group lead trying to close it out,” explained Head Coach Paul Dixon.

“We created some good opportunities and had a lot of the play in the 2nd especially, and also in the 3rd, so it was nice to see that goal by Jesse go in and nice to add on an empty netter to relieve the pressure and secure the points.”

The leader through 24 games in the Patton Conference is the winner:

patton conference

In Sunday's game Guildford were defeated 3-1 by Conventry Blaze.

The opening period was scoreless, despite the teams sharing 25 shots.

Blaze's first goal came just over 3 minutes into the 2nd  by Luke Ferrara in a stretch of 4 on 4 play, followed by another from Jordan Pietrus that brought them to a two goal lead into the final period. 

Just 10 minutes from close, an initial save was followed up by Adam Couchrine netting Coventry's third and final goal.

Guildford finally responded with a goal from Kevin Philips, but that was all from the home team. 

“It certainly is not the best game we have played all season, but it mostly came down to a few key moments that went horribly wrong for us and that was the big difference,” admitted Head Coach Paul Dixon.

“The opportunities they scored on were obviously glaring outnumbered situations. Some were a bit of back luck, but on every goal we put Chris in an exceptionally bad spot.”

Contact Us

If you would like to submit a query or provide more information on this story please get in touch below.

Please wait...
  • Up to 3 JPG or PNG images, 2MB max size
  • We will always endeavour to credit you when we publish your pictures.
  • By uploading you are agreeing to this non-exclusive reuse, royalty-free, across all Eagle Radio platforms, which extends to our partner broadcasters.
  • You retain copyright to all images.
  • If you would like to send us a video, please upload to YouTube or similar and paste the video URL into the message above.